Serena Joy confronts Offred, who struggles with a life-altering revelation; the handmaids are faced with a brutal decision.
In a flashback, June and various other women are brought into the Red Center, where they forcibly get their ears tagged. Back in the present, Offred returns home from grocery shopping and hides Rachel's package in her bathroom.
Serena Joy discovers that Offred went to the Jezebel's club with Mr. Waterford and strikes Offred down on the ground to punish her. She then forces Offred to take a pregnancy test, which then shows that Offred is pregnant.
Serena Joy reveals the good news to Mr. Waterford and tells him the baby isn't even his because he is weak. Offred is miserable after hearing the news because she doesn't want to bring a child into this unjust world.
Offred reveals to Nick that she is pregnant, much to his shock. Knowing that the child is almost certainly his, they share a brief tender moment.
Serena Joy then takes Offred on a surprise trip, several hours away. Serena meets with Hannah, Offred's daughter, to show Offred that if she harms herself or the baby then Hannah will be in danger. Offred screams in misery and calls Serena an evil monster. Offred then runs to Mr. Waterford to ask him to protect her daughter.
"Whoever is getting this, please don't
forget me". See also: Rachel's Package
Rachel's package contains a pile of letters from various displaced women looking for children and family members, detailing atrocities happening to them in Gilead and begging the world not to forget them. Offred reads them all in horror, and falls asleep surrounded by them.
Mr. Waterford participates in Commander Putnam’s trial chaired by Commander Pryce. Waterford is all for leniency, reminding that no one is free of mistakes and that Warren Putnam has a family, a wife and a new child. Pryce replies that the council should always stand against sin, and that Mrs. Putnam herself has asked that her husband receive the harshest punishment possible, as she fears for his immortal soul and knows that he must make an offering to God to find redemption. Ultimately, Putnam's left hand is amputated.
I'm sorry, Aunt Lydia (Part I) (Recurring Phrases)
All of the handmaidens are called to come together to stone someone who endangered a child. To their surprise, that someone is Janine. The handmaids hesitate and Ofglen #2 is brutally beaten by a guard when she breaks rank and voices her angry refusal. The other women, beginning with Offred, drop their stones, each saying "I'm sorry, Aunt Lydia" (a phrase they were taught early in their indoctrination). The guards are ready to kill them all, but Aunt Lydia frantically tells them that the handmaids are her responsibility.. Aunt Lydia promises that they will all be punished and sends them home.
I'm sorry, Aunt Lydia (Recurring Phrases)
Moira manages to escape to Ontario, Canada. She ends up in a refugee camp where she is given clothes, a phone, money, and food. Luke comes and finds her there and she bursts into tears when they are reunited.
In the last scene, Offred is in her room waiting for someone to come and punish her. Nick comes in and tells Offred to "Just go with them" and insists that she trust him. Two armed guards come in and lead Offred away, to the surprise and horror of Serena Joy and Fred. Offred walks off willingly, unsure if this is her end or a brand new beginning.
- Elisabeth Moss as June Osborne
- Joseph Fiennes as Fred Waterford
- Yvonne Strahovski as Serena Joy Waterford
- Madeline Brewer as Janine
- Ann Dowd as Aunt Lydia
- O-T Fagbenle as Luke Bankole
- Max Minghella as Nick Blaine
- Samira Wiley as Moira
- Robert Curtis Brown as Andrew Pryce
- Amanda Brugel as Rita
- Tattiawna Jones as Lillie Fuller
- Stephen Kunken as Warren Putnam
- Nina Kiri as Alma
- Jenessa Grant as Dolores
- Bruce Tubbe as Matthew
- Jordana Blake as Hannah Bankole
- David Kirby as Commander Bennett
- Ryan Perlus as Surgeon
- Josh Hehner as Assisting Surgeon
- Andrew Moodle as Mike Ahn
- Bahia Watson as Brianna
- Jean Paul Naim as Guardian #1
- Lisa Michelle Cornelius as UN Volunteer
- Jeff 'Boomer' Phillips as Eye #1
- Bas Reitsma as Eye #2
- "She is a beautiful girl, Offred. And she's happy. And she's well-taken care of and you don't have to worry about anything. Listen to me. So long as my baby is safe, so is yours." —Serena Joy
- "She came to ask for the harshest possible punishment. She fears for his immortal soul. She knows that he must make an offering to God to find redemption. She loves her husband...very much." —Commander Pryce
- "I'm sorry, Aunt Lydia." —June (in the Red Center) when Aunt Lydia demands an excuse / June refusing to "particicute" Janine
|Season 1||Offred | Birth Day | Late | Nolite Te Bastardes Carborundorum | Faithful | A Woman's Place|
The Other Side | Jezebels | The Bridge | Night
|June | Unwomen | Baggage | Other Women | Seeds | First Blood | After | Women's Work|
Smart Power | The Last Ceremony | Holly | Postpartum | The Word
|Night | Mary and Martha | Useful | God Bless the Child | Unknown Caller | Household | Under His Eye | Unfit | Heroic | Witness | Liars | Sacrifice | Mayday|